Admission to the program is highly competitive. Successful applicants generally present strong undergraduate training, with concentrations in mathematics, physics, or engineering. Students accepted to the program are normally offered research assistantships, which include tuition expenses and a generous stipend. Prospective students are encouraged, however, to apply for any outside fellowships for which they may qualify.
Please note: The GRE General Test and Subject Test in Physics are Optional/Not Required for Fall 2022 Admission, but strongly recommended.
All applicants must complete a web-based application. The application fee is $75. When applying, select "Program in Plasma Physics" in the "Field of Study" section. The deadline for submitting an application is December 1st. A completed application includes:
- One transcript from every college or university from which you have earned, or expect to earn, a degree must be uploaded with your electronic application in the space provided.
- Three electronic letters of recommendation written in English are required from faculty members or others well-acquainted with your academic work.
- (Optional for Fall 2022 Admission) Valid GRE General Test and GRE Physics Subject Test scores submitted from Educational Testing Service (ETS). Princeton University's institution code is 2672. Department codes are not used at Princeton and are not required by ETS.
- A statement of purpose and a resume/curriculum vitae.
Application Fee Waivers
You may be eligible for an application fee waiver:
- Partner Programs. Applicants who have participated in certain partner programs aimed at broadening educational access automatically receive a fee waiver within the application system. Such applicants check a box within the application indicating their participation and are then asked to upload a letter from the program verifying their participation. The partner programs are: AmeriCorps, CORO Fellows, FAF, Fleet Fellows, GEM, IIE/Fulbright, IIPP, IRT, JSI, Leadership Alliance, McNair, Mellon Mays, NYC Urban Fellows, Peace Corps, PPIA, RWJMS, SINSI, U.S. Military, VEF or Yellow Ribbon Program.
- Financial Hardship. This year, any student who has received a GRE fee reduction and provides the fee reduction code from GRE will automatically receive an admission application fee waiver within our application system. Additionally, applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents may request a fee waiver from the Graduate School based on financial hardship.
For more information about application fee waivers or to contact the grad school go to Application Fee Waivers.