Professor of Astrophysical Sciences
B.S., Physics, Ehime University, 1985
M.S., Physics, University of Tokyo, 1987
Ph.D., Physics, University of Tokyo, 1990
- Magnetic reconnection
- Magnetorotational instability in the lab
- Magnetic field effects in high-energy-density (HED) laser plasmas, including magnetic reconnection
- Magnetohydrodynamic surface waves and free-surface MHD flow in liquid metals
- Dynamo effects in laboratory plasmas
Awards & Honors
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Department of Energy, 2010
- Distinguished Research Fellow, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, 2009
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2004
- Kaul Prize for Excellence in Plasma Physics Research and Technology Development, Princeton University, 2003
- Award for Excellence in Plasma Physics Research, American Physical Society, 2002
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Department of Energy, 2002
- AST 552 General Plasma Physics II
- AST 555 Fusion Plasmas & Plasma Diagnostics
- K. Bergstedt, H. Ji, J. Jara-Almonte, J. Yoo, R.E. Ergun, and L.-J. Chen, “Statistical properties of magnetic structures and energy dissipation during turbulent reconnection in the Earth’s magnetotail”, Geophys. Res. Lett. 47, (2020). DOI: 10.1029/2020GL088540
- D. Hung, E. Blackman, K. Caspary, E. Gilson, and H. Ji, “Experimental Confirmation of the Standard Magnetorotational Instability Mechanism with a Spring-Mass Analogue”, Communications Physics 2, 9 (2019). DOI: 10.1038/s42005-018-0103-7
- W. Fox, F.D. Wilder, S. Eriksson, J. Jara-Almonte, F. Pucci, J. Yoo, A. von Stechow, H. Ji, M. Yamada, R.E. Ergun, M. Oieroset, and T.D. Phan, “Energy conversion by parallel electric fields in reconnection diffusion regions in scaled laboratory and space experiments”, Geophys. Res. Lett. 45, 12677 (2018). DOI:10.1029/2018GL079883
- J. Jara-Almonte, H. Ji, M. Yamada, J. Yoo, and W. Fox, “Laboratory Observation of Resistive Electron Tearing in a Two-Fluid, Reconnecting Current Sheet”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 095001 (2016).
- C. Myers, M. Yamada, H. Ji, J. Yoo, W. Fox, J. Jara-Almonte, A. Savcheva, and E. DeLuca, “A dynamic magnetic tension force as the cause of failed solar eruptions”, Nature 528, 526 (2015).
- H. Ji and S. Balbus, “Angular Momentum Transport in Astrophysics and in the Lab”, Physics Today 66, 27 (2013).
- S. Dorfman, H. Ji, M. Yamada, J. Yoo, T. Tharp, E. Lawrence, and C. Myers, “Three-dimensional, Impulsive Magnetic Reconnection in a Laboratory Plasma”, Geophys. Phys. Lett. 40, 233 (2013).
- E. Lawrence, H. Ji, M. Yamada, and J. Yoo, “Laboratory Study of Hall Reconnection in Partially Ionized Plasmas”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 015001 (2013).
- A. Roach, E. Spence, C. Gissinger, E. Edlund, P. Sloboda, J. Goodman, and H. Ji, “Observation of a free-Shercliff-layer instability in cylindrical geometry”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 154502 (2012).
- H. Ji and W. Daughton, "Phase diagram for magnetic reconnection in heliophysical, astrophysical, and laboratory plasmas," Phys. Plasmas 18, 111207 (2011)
- M. Yamada, R. Kulsrud, and H. Ji, “Magnetic Reconnection", Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 603 (2010).
- H. Ji, Y. Ren, M. Yamada, S. Dorfman, W. Daughton, S .Gerhardt, “New Insights into Dissipation in the Electron Layer During Magnetic Reconnection”, Geophys. Res. Lett. 35, L13106 (2008).
- H. Ji, M. Burin, E. Schartman, and J. Goodman, "Hydrodynamic Turbulence Cannot Transport Angular Momentum Effectively in Astrophysical Disks", Nature 444, 343 (2006).
- H. Ji, S. Terry, M. Yamada, R. Kulsrud, A. Kuritsyn, and Y. Ren, "Electromagnetic Fluctuations during Fast Reconnection in a Laboratory Plasmas”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 115001 (2004).
- T. Carter, H. Ji, F. Trintchouk, M. Yamada, and R. Kulsrud, "Measurement of Lower-Hybrid Drift Turbulence in a Reconnecting Current Sheet”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 015001 (2002).
- H. Ji, J. Goodman, and A. Kageyama, “Magnetorotational Instability in a Rotating Liquid Metal Annulus”, Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 325, L1 (2001).
- H. Ji, "Turbulent Dynamos and Magnetic Helicity”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 3198 (1999).