Professor of Astrophysical Sciences
B.S., Physics, Ehime University, 1985
M.S., Physics, University of Tokyo, 1987
Ph.D., Physics, University of Tokyo, 1990
- Magnetic reconnection
- Magnetorotational instability in the lab
- Magnetic field effects in high-energy-density (HED) laser plasmas, including magnetic reconnection
- Magnetohydrodynamic surface waves and free-surface MHD flow in liquid metals
- Dynamo effects in laboratory plasmas
Awards & Honors
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Department of Energy, 2010
- Distinguished Research Fellow, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, 2009
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2004
- Kaul Prize for Excellence in Plasma Physics Research and Technology Development, Princeton University, 2003
- Award for Excellence in Plasma Physics Research, American Physical Society, 2002
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Department of Energy, 2002
- AST 552 General Plasma Physics II
- AST 555 Fusion Plasmas & Plasma Diagnostics
- J. Jara-Almonte, H. Ji, M. Yamada, J. Yoo, and W. Fox, “Laboratory Observation of Resistive Electron Tearing in a Two-Fluid, Reconnecting Current Sheet”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 095001 (2016).
- C. Myers, M. Yamada, H. Ji, J. Yoo, W. Fox, J. Jara-Almonte, A. Savcheva, and E. DeLuca, “A dynamic magnetic tension force as the cause of failed solar eruptions”, Nature 528, 526 (2015).
- H. Ji and S. Balbus, “Angular Momentum Transport in Astrophysics and in the Lab”, Physics Today 66, 27 (2013).
- S. Dorfman, H. Ji, M. Yamada, J. Yoo, T. Tharp, E. Lawrence, and C. Myers, “Three-dimensional, Impulsive Magnetic Reconnection in a Laboratory Plasma”, Geophys. Phys. Lett. 40, 233 (2013).
- E. Lawrence, H. Ji, M. Yamada, and J. Yoo, “Laboratory Study of Hall Reconnection in Partially Ionized Plasmas”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 015001 (2013).
- A. Roach, E. Spence, C. Gissinger, E. Edlund, P. Sloboda, J. Goodman, and H. Ji, “Observation of a free-Shercliff-layer instability in cylindrical geometry”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 154502 (2012).
- H. Ji and W. Daughton, "Phase diagram for magnetic reconnection in heliophysical, astrophysical, and laboratory plasmas," Phys. Plasmas 18, 111207 (2011)
- M. Yamada, R. Kulsrud, and H. Ji, “Magnetic Reconnection", Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 603 (2010).
- H. Ji, Y. Ren, M. Yamada, S. Dorfman, W. Daughton, S .Gerhardt, “New Insights into Dissipation in the Electron Layer During Magnetic Reconnection”, Geophys. Res. Lett. 35, L13106 (2008).
- A. Kuritsyn, H. Ji, S. Gerhardt, Y. Ren, and M. Yamada, “Effects of Global Boundary and Local Collisionality on Magnetic Reconnection in a Laboratory Plasma”, Geophys. Res. Lett. 34, L16106 (2007).
- H. Ji, M. Burin, E. Schartman, and J. Goodman, "Hydrodynamic Turbulence Cannot Transport Angular Momentum Effectively in Astrophysical Disks", Nature 444, 343 (2006).
- H. Ji, S. Terry, M. Yamada, R. Kulsrud, A. Kuritsyn, and Y. Ren, "Electromagnetic Fluctuations during Fast Reconnection in a Laboratory Plasmas”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 115001 (2004).
- T. Carter, H. Ji, F. Trintchouk, M. Yamada, and R. Kulsrud, "Measurement of Lower-Hybrid Drift Turbulence in a Reconnecting Current Sheet”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 015001 (2002).
- H. Ji, J. Goodman, and A. Kageyama, “Magnetorotational Instability in a Rotating Liquid Metal Annulus”, Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 325, L1 (2001).
- H. Ji, "Turbulent Dynamos and Magnetic Helicity”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 3198 (1999).