Assistant Professor of Astrophysical Sciences
B.S., Astronomy-Physics with High Distinction, University of Virginia, 2003
B.S., Music, University of Virginia, 2003
Ph.D., Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009
- Astrophysical plasma dynamics: disks, winds, atmospheres, and dynamos
- Instability, turbulence, and transport in weakly collisional plasmas
- Instability, turbulence, and transport in poorly ionized plasmas
- Numerical methods in magnetohydrodynamics and kinetics
Awards & Honors
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship in Physics, 2017-20
- NASA Einstein Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, 2011-14
- UIUC Excellent and Outstanding Teachers Lists, 2003-09
- UVA Lawn Resident, 2002-03
- AST 554 Irreversible Processes in Plasmas
- AST 521 Introduction to Plasma Astrophysics
- J. Squire, M. W. Kunz, E. Quataert, and A. A. Schekochihin, Kinetic Simulations of the Interruption of Large-Amplitude Shear-Alfvén Waves in a High-Beta Plasma, Physical Review Letters 119, 155101 (October, 2017).
- M. W. Kunz, J. M. Stone, and E. Quataert, Magnetorotational Turbulence and Dynamo in a Collisionless Plasma, Physical Review Letters 117, 235101 (December, 2016).
- R. Xu and M. W. Kunz, Linear Vlasov theory of a magnetised, thermally stratified atmosphere, Journal of Plasma Physics 82, 5 (October, 2016).
- M. W. Kunz, A. A. Schekochihin, C. H. K. Chen, I. Abel, and S. C. Cowley, Inertial-range kinetic turbulence in pressure-anisotropic astrophysical plasmas, Journal of Plasma Physics 81, 325810501 (June, 2015).
- G. Lesur, M. W. Kunz, and S. Fromang, Thanatology in Protoplanetary Discs: The combined influence of Ohmic, Hall, and ambipolar diffusion on dead zones, Astronomy & Astrophysics 566, 56 (June, 2014).
- M. W. Kunz, A. A. Schekochihin, and J. M. Stone, Firehose and Mirror Instabilities in a Collisionless Shearing Plasma, Physical Review Letters 112, 205003 (May, 2014).
- M. W. Kunz, J. M. Stone, and X.-N. Bai, Pegasus: A new hybrid-kinetic particle-in-cell code for astrophysical plasma dynamics, Journal of Computational Physics 259, 154 (February, 2014).
- M. W. Kunz and G. Lesur, Magnetic self-organization in Hall-dominated magnetorotational turbulence, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 434, 2295 (September, 2014).
- M. W. Kunz, Dynamical stability of a thermally stratified intracluster medium with anisotropic momentum and heat transport, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 417, 602 (October, 2011).
- M. W. Kunz and T. Ch. Mouschovias, The nonisothermal stage of magnetic star formation. II. Results, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 408, 322 (October, 2010).
- M. W. Kunz, On the linear stability of weakly ionized, magnetized planar shear flows, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 385, 1494 (April, 2008).
- M. W. Kunz and S. A. Balbus, Ambipolar diffusion in the magnetorotational instability, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 348, 355 (February, 2004).